Our Chin Spin 15" Chinchilla Wheel is the perfect way for your furry friend to get some exercise.
This safe, open-wheel design is made with a quality wood backing and metal ring, making it easy to mount to most cages. So make sure your chinchilla and other small animals get the workouts they need with this Chin Spin 15" Chinchilla Exercise Wheel!
Benefits and Features of our all-metal Wheels:
- All-metal/wood Construction, No plastic to chew on.
- Heavy Duty Dual ball bearings for long-lasting performance.
- Safe metal open-wheel design with a wide running surface.
- Durably mounts to all wire cages.
- Smooth & Safe Front Edge.
- Great for Chinchillas, Prairie Dogs, Degu's, and even armadillos!
- Large 6-1/4" Running Surface.
- Easy to clean and sanitize
- Metal chew proof design
- Amazing Customer Reviews!
It is easily mounted to most cages with supplied hardware.
We recommend the bottom of the metal wheel is 2" above the cages floor. It extends 8" from the wall of the cage.
The wood we use is made from Baltic Birch Plywood, is Made in the USA (Texas), and with natural soy-based glues. (Unlike some of our competitors.)
Comes with photo-illustrated installation instructions.
How to change your Chin Spin Exercise metal Wheel Bearings:
Who knows how many miles your Chinchilla has run on that thing!?!?
Sounds exhausting to me. But, we all know fitness is needed, so we should all take after our little furicane track champions and hit the dirt. If only there was a way to let those little critters generate electricity on those things!
Now, all that running not only wears us out, but it wears out the spinning Bearings. Good thing we sell replacements that can be found right......HERE.
Anyways, once you have those bearings there is a little more to be done.
Today we're going to teach you how to change your Chinchilla Wheels bearings:
Time: 5 Minutes to complete
Here's what you are going to need:
- Replacement Chin Spin Bearings.
- 9/16" Wrench or an adjustable wrench.
- Screw Driver
- Hammer or Mallet (You don't have to hit too hard :))
- A piece of wood or something similar.
Eight Steps to change your Chin Spin Bearings:
- Remove the 9/16” nylon insert locknut that holds the Chin Spin on the axel bolt by turning it counterclockwise using a 9/16” wrench, box wrench, or if not available pliers or vice grips.
- Slide the metal wheel off of the axle bolt.
- Place your Chin Spin wheel face down on a protected surface. Remove the rear bearing by putting a screwdriver in the bearing’s hole; gently rock it back and forth to loosen it. You may need to finish prying it out.
- Using a screwdriver or piece of wood, knock out the front bearing.
- Turn over the wheel. Use a block of wood to tap the new front bearing in place. Make sure that you tap around the outside edge of the bearing – not on top of the bearing itself – until fully seated.
- Repeat the process to install the rear bearing.
- Slide the Chin Spin wheel back onto the axle bolt.
- On the inside of the wheel, tighten the locknut just until it is snug and there is no “play” in the wheel. Do not over-tighten.
The volcanic ash in your chin’s “Dust Bath” contains fine, abrasive particles that will dramatically shorten the life of the dual ball bearings in the Chin Spin. Locate the Dust Bath away from the Chin Spin; consider taking the bath out when your chin is not using it.
Other Maintenence & Suggestions:
- Cleaning: Some chinchillas will pee when running. If this is the case you will want to clean the surface of your wheel with a 50-50 vinegar-water mixture once per week. We like to spray it on and then hit it with a soft sponge!
- Center nut: Over time the nut on the center of the wheel can loosen up. You need to tighten this to keep the wheel spinning soundly! We recommend doing this every time you clean the wheel.
- If cared for correctly your wheel could last 10+ years!
Actual Customer Reviews:
"I have bought 5 different wheels, 2 being silent spinners, before I decided enough was enough because they were so loud AND kept me up at night since their cage is in my room. The silent spinners were ok, I had them rigged up so they weren't so loud but they do not even compare to this wheel! I wish I would have bought one of these sooner! I have 2 chinchillas and one runs louder than the other on the previous wheels I had, with this one I only hear their cute little feet pitter patting away (sounds like frozen pees very lightly hitting a metal pot). The wheel is huge! I have a critter nation 2 story and it takes up a little over half the bottom level. With it being so big, a person won't have to worry about their chins running uncomfortably. So yes, splurge and get this wheel! 100x worth the money!"
"Honestly, this is the best Chinchilla wheel ever. I finally bought this wheel in January of 2018 after debating about buying it since mid-2017. I was worried this wheel would be damaged due to the FedEx delivery guy throwing it on my porch but it wasn't dented or anything. It is definitely one of the best chinchilla wheel designs you could ever come across. I absolutely love that this wheel has a wide running space. It provides plenty of running space for my large chinchilla girl. My chinchilla used to have the stupid, poorly design 12-inch Kaytee Silent Spinner wheel which I hated because she would hop instead of run and she would fall of it because it was too narrow for her plus it was also loud. I've tried other silent wheels and honestly, you're going to hear some noises no matter what wheel you have but this one is the quietest by far; the others were very loud in comparison. This wheel is perfect. It's spacious, durable, quiet, and allows my chinchilla to run the way chinchillas are supposed to run. I'm so happy she has a 15-inch chin spin wheel, it was completely worth it. The only negative for me is that the paint of this wheel comes off when my chinchilla chews on it, she literally chews EVERYTHING she owns plus the things she thinks she owns, but that is not a fault on this product, only my chinchilla. Otherwise, I see this wheel lasting a very long time. highly recommend."
"I'm glad I did some research. This wheel is perfect for my chin baby. She has plenty of room to stretch when running. My chin came in a small cage and I question if it ever had an exercise wheel. We upgraded her to a much bigger cage and this wheel arrived about a week later. She ran and wore herself out so much that she was falling asleep on her side. It's amazing how quickly she can pick up speed. Sometimes I hear her running at night, but it's a lot quieter than I anticipated it would be. Well made and will last a long time, I'm sure!
Edit Added year later: Still going great on the first bearing it came with."
"Not 100% silent, but pretty close!
Easy for rats to use, easy to mount, easy to clean. Pretty wide, so you can have two females walk together. This would be a bit small for jumbo males because their backs would arch more.
We had one skittish rat disliked the sound of her feet tinkling against the metal.
We had taught another rat to use it, and that rat eventually taught our skittish rat to use it without issue.
I'd definitely recommend this over a ball. Balls are never big enough, are unwieldy for the rat to control, and are like a prison because they can't get off when they please. This is much better and they seem to enjoy it."
Looks and feels high quality and sturdy, but unfortunately most of my chins are too scared or clueless as to how to use it (it's only been a few weeks), although one of them has hopped on and "jogged" on it for a few seconds at a time lol.
My rescued chin absolutely loves his chin spin. He is in and out of it all night long. I love that it is so quiet. If it wasn't for the patter of his feet I wouldn't know he was using it. I am very happy with the quality of the workmanship and product. I will be ordering more for my other chinchillas!
This is a great quality exercise wheel that keeps going and going! During the first 13 years, it was regularly used by two chinnies. Sadly, only one old guy is left, but he and his big wheel still run like a champ. We changed out the bearings just once during the 15 years that we've had it.
My rescue chinchilla has never run on a wheel before. She refused a saucer and any commercial wheels I found were 12 inch. Big no from her! While confused at first by the concept of the chin spin, her companion taught her and now its her favorite evening activity after watching her cartoons. Sturdy and big enough for a chinchilla! Love the lack of wires and dangerous gaps. Solid construction and I plan to buy again.
Got this for my rats and they run their little hearts out on it constantly. Is nice, big, sturdy, and very quiet! I usually only hear them using it if they are really throwing themselves around in there or if they have dragged something into the wheel with them and I can hear it rolling around while they run lol. Worth every penny!
The wheel spins smoothly & there is absolutely no noise.
Products are awesome and my Phebe and BoBo love them !! Thanks so much
It's a wonderful wheel that my chins absolutely love running on
It's so quiet and our chinchillas love it! It's cool that the come in fun colors now! Our boys can frequently be found running to their hearts content on their chin spin!
So it took awhile to get to me but it was also Jul time so that was to be expected... my chinny boys love it and spend 50% of their time in it... went in easy... but if you have a cheaper cage make sure you tighten up the screws and secure the latches or the vibration will make the cage rattle.... as soon as I thilghtened the cage up and fixed the latches it is quite... mind you this was the CAGES fault... NOT THE CHINSPIN.. I 100% recommend this product.