Our Chin Spin 15" Chinchilla Wheel is the perfect way for your furry friend to get some exercise.
This safe, open-wheel design is made with a quality wood backing and metal ring, making it easy to mount to most cages. So make sure your chinchilla and other small animals get the workouts they need with this Chin Spin 15" Chinchilla Exercise Wheel!
Benefits and Features of our all-metal Wheels:
- All-metal/wood Construction, No plastic to chew on.
- Heavy Duty Dual ball bearings for long-lasting performance.
- Safe metal open-wheel design with a wide running surface.
- Durably mounts to all wire cages.
- Smooth & Safe Front Edge.
- Great for Chinchillas, Prairie Dogs, Degu's, and even armadillos!
- Large 6-1/4" Running Surface.
- Easy to clean and sanitize
- Metal chew proof design
- Amazing Customer Reviews!
It is easily mounted to most cages with supplied hardware.
We recommend the bottom of the metal wheel is 2" above the cages floor. It extends 8" from the wall of the cage.
The wood we use is made from Baltic Birch Plywood, is Made in the USA (Texas), and with natural soy-based glues. (Unlike some of our competitors.)
Comes with photo-illustrated installation instructions.
How to change your Chin Spin Exercise metal Wheel Bearings:
Who knows how many miles your Chinchilla has run on that thing!?!?
Sounds exhausting to me. But, we all know fitness is needed, so we should all take after our little furicane track champions and hit the dirt. If only there was a way to let those little critters generate electricity on those things!
Now, all that running not only wears us out, but it wears out the spinning Bearings. Good thing we sell replacements that can be found right......HERE.
Anyways, once you have those bearings there is a little more to be done.
Today we're going to teach you how to change your Chinchilla Wheels bearings:
Time: 5 Minutes to complete
Here's what you are going to need:
- Replacement Chin Spin Bearings.
- 9/16" Wrench or an adjustable wrench.
- Screw Driver
- Hammer or Mallet (You don't have to hit too hard :))
- A piece of wood or something similar.
Eight Steps to change your Chin Spin Bearings:
- Remove the 9/16” nylon insert locknut that holds the Chin Spin on the axel bolt by turning it counterclockwise using a 9/16” wrench, box wrench, or if not available pliers or vice grips.
- Slide the metal wheel off of the axle bolt.
- Place your Chin Spin wheel face down on a protected surface. Remove the rear bearing by putting a screwdriver in the bearing’s hole; gently rock it back and forth to loosen it. You may need to finish prying it out.
- Using a screwdriver or piece of wood, knock out the front bearing.
- Turn over the wheel. Use a block of wood to tap the new front bearing in place. Make sure that you tap around the outside edge of the bearing – not on top of the bearing itself – until fully seated.
- Repeat the process to install the rear bearing.
- Slide the Chin Spin wheel back onto the axle bolt.
- On the inside of the wheel, tighten the locknut just until it is snug and there is no “play” in the wheel. Do not over-tighten.
The volcanic ash in your chin’s “Dust Bath” contains fine, abrasive particles that will dramatically shorten the life of the dual ball bearings in the Chin Spin. Locate the Dust Bath away from the Chin Spin; consider taking the bath out when your chin is not using it.
Other Maintenence & Suggestions:
- Cleaning: Some chinchillas will pee when running. If this is the case you will want to clean the surface of your wheel with a 50-50 vinegar-water mixture once per week. We like to spray it on and then hit it with a soft sponge!
- Center nut: Over time the nut on the center of the wheel can loosen up. You need to tighten this to keep the wheel spinning soundly! We recommend doing this every time you clean the wheel.
- If cared for correctly your wheel could last 10+ years!
Actual Customer Reviews:
"I have bought 5 different wheels, 2 being silent spinners, before I decided enough was enough because they were so loud AND kept me up at night since their cage is in my room. The silent spinners were ok, I had them rigged up so they weren't so loud but they do not even compare to this wheel! I wish I would have bought one of these sooner! I have 2 chinchillas and one runs louder than the other on the previous wheels I had, with this one I only hear their cute little feet pitter patting away (sounds like frozen pees very lightly hitting a metal pot). The wheel is huge! I have a critter nation 2 story and it takes up a little over half the bottom level. With it being so big, a person won't have to worry about their chins running uncomfortably. So yes, splurge and get this wheel! 100x worth the money!"
"Honestly, this is the best Chinchilla wheel ever. I finally bought this wheel in January of 2018 after debating about buying it since mid-2017. I was worried this wheel would be damaged due to the FedEx delivery guy throwing it on my porch but it wasn't dented or anything. It is definitely one of the best chinchilla wheel designs you could ever come across. I absolutely love that this wheel has a wide running space. It provides plenty of running space for my large chinchilla girl. My chinchilla used to have the stupid, poorly design 12-inch Kaytee Silent Spinner wheel which I hated because she would hop instead of run and she would fall of it because it was too narrow for her plus it was also loud. I've tried other silent wheels and honestly, you're going to hear some noises no matter what wheel you have but this one is the quietest by far; the others were very loud in comparison. This wheel is perfect. It's spacious, durable, quiet, and allows my chinchilla to run the way chinchillas are supposed to run. I'm so happy she has a 15-inch chin spin wheel, it was completely worth it. The only negative for me is that the paint of this wheel comes off when my chinchilla chews on it, she literally chews EVERYTHING she owns plus the things she thinks she owns, but that is not a fault on this product, only my chinchilla. Otherwise, I see this wheel lasting a very long time. highly recommend."
"I'm glad I did some research. This wheel is perfect for my chin baby. She has plenty of room to stretch when running. My chin came in a small cage and I question if it ever had an exercise wheel. We upgraded her to a much bigger cage and this wheel arrived about a week later. She ran and wore herself out so much that she was falling asleep on her side. It's amazing how quickly she can pick up speed. Sometimes I hear her running at night, but it's a lot quieter than I anticipated it would be. Well made and will last a long time, I'm sure!
Edit Added year later: Still going great on the first bearing it came with."
"Not 100% silent, but pretty close!
Easy for rats to use, easy to mount, easy to clean. Pretty wide, so you can have two females walk together. This would be a bit small for jumbo males because their backs would arch more.
We had one skittish rat disliked the sound of her feet tinkling against the metal.
We had taught another rat to use it, and that rat eventually taught our skittish rat to use it without issue.
I'd definitely recommend this over a ball. Balls are never big enough, are unwieldy for the rat to control, and are like a prison because they can't get off when they please. This is much better and they seem to enjoy it."
Frosty absolutely loves his new Chin Spin
This fits perfectly in my Critter Nation cage, and my chinchilla loves it.
Our chinchilla loves her wheel! She can run and stretch her body out - she even kangaroo hop runs and it is so quiet. This wheel is worth every penny.
First I didn’t realize how big this was but beyond happy with how they made it! It’s so beautiful! Fits perfect on my chinchilla’s third level critter nation cage. Amazing quality and very durable both my chins love it so much!! Couldn’t be happier!! I highly recommend this amazing wheel!!
I was hesitant to purchase the wheel as my chin is over 10 years old and has never seen or used one and I was worried he would ignore it or not understand it. He figured it out the first night and now uses it regularly. Very Happy with the purchase. And it fits in my Critter Nation cage perfectly!.
The wheel is amazing and was a snap to set up. I got the stardust color and it goes well with his space theme cage. He took to it right away and it's so quiet! I still hear HIM but not so much the wheel. He also enjoys stretching out and napping on it. The only downside is that I was told it would take 12 days to make and got it a month later. I emailed and basicly got the run around and then they said they would send it out that Friday and they didn't ship it till the following Tuesday. I'm thinking of getting another chin and wanted to get one of their cool colorful cages and bundles but I feel like of it took them 3x as long to make the wheel I can only imagine how long a cage would take!
This is the second wheel I've purchased for my chinchilla's; I prefer the QCC wheel for being both stouter and deeper than the other wheel, which is vital because how fast and often my youngest chinchilla runs on it. It is fairly quiet for a wheel, although Max will always manage to generate some noise from his sprints.
This thing is stout, quiet, and the chinchillas love it.
We bought our first chin spin when we got our first prairie dog. Well we rescued 3 more so now we have FIVE prairie dogs and TWO chin spins. Thank you.